Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Cleaning...

Lately I have been trying to focus on one room at a time in our house to clean up and get rid of the clutter sitting around and lying on the floor. It is amazing how it makes you feel so good once you are able to clean up one room in the house. I have been watching the "Nate Berkus" show lately on TV and they have been talking about getting rid of the clutter. I have really enjoyed the tips they have given. It has helped me to want to clean up and to stop making excuses for all the piles of clutter.

Here are some of the tips they gave:
  • Set a goal to pick up 1 area and put things away
  • Use a timer to keep focus and finish cleaning that one area
  • Choose 5 things you want to declutter and work on them throughout the week 1 day at a time and by the end of the week you will have all five things accomplish and decluttered.
More tips you can go to: http://www.thenateshow.com/tipsandtools/detail/5-day-declutter-plan

So I was able to organize our office and it is clean now. I loved looking back at the room and seeing what I had accomplished for the day. It felt great. It was amazing just by decluttering and cleaning up the room how wonderful it made me feel on the inside and the relief it gave me.

I used containers and binders that I already had and started organizing things into them. Now I can better find things and I don't have to search for things in the office anymore.

The hardest part now is keeping it this way. I have found that it is better to clean up before moving on to something else or saying I will do it later.

On the show they also talked about the different clutter personalities. I discovered that I am one that gets easily distracted and sometimes a perfectionist. When I get easily distracted I find myself putting items where they belong in others rooms and then I will start a new project in that room instead of finishing the project in the room I began decluttering in. Each time I would put something away in another room I would have to remind myself what I was doing in the first place and go back to doing it. Now to the perfectionist I sometimes want everything to look beautiful that sometimes I just don't know where to start so I won't begin decluttering at all. I found also that it worked out a lot better with giving myself a time frame to when I wanted to be done. That helped a lot with keeping me focus and then I didn't feel like I spent my whole day cleaning up messes.

Now when I cleaned up our office I kept these clutter personalities in mind so I would stay focused and get the job done. It is great because now I can spend my time getting other long sought out projects completed little by little.

2 comments:

Berta Loosle said...

I love the ideas! I totally need to work on de-cluttering our place. It's a MESS! I haven't looked at the link you posted yet, but I plan to.

Anyhow, kiss Matthew for me. Love you!

The Taylor LIfe said...

Wow, I think I am just like you, with the getting distracted and perfection area. I will have to try those points out to declutter around here. Thanks for posting, just what I needed and this beautiful sunshine we are having for today is definitely getting me in the Spring cleaning mood. Have a Great Day!