"When we live beneath ourselves, it's not possible to feel peace of mind and self-confidence."
-By Sheri Dew-
-By Sheri Dew-
I am going to start posting a quote every time I write on my blog. To uplift myself and to help me to focus on something each day or week. So I hope that it will be uplifting to all.
At the beginning of the year we had a really great lesson in Relief Society, on setting goals for the new year without being overwhelmed by your goals. In the lesson they talked about if you weren't able to keep a certain goal last year to just take it off the list for this year and try something else and then try it another year. They also said to keep your list short so you are more likely to achieve your goals rather than not accomplishing them at all. I loved the lesson and it inspired me to come up with some basic goals for myself to achieve.
My Goals for the New Year 2011:
- Remember Birthdays for Family & Friends
- Drink more water
- Read 1 conference talk each week along with something educational
- Exercise
I read from my journal a month back to look over my goals for last year. I was amazed that I had accomplished all my goals. I really think writing down the steps helped me to accomplish my goals. Some things that were on my list, I now just do and have worked them into my daily routine. That was probably the first year I was able to accomplish all my goals. What a huge accomplishment it was. I didn't even realize I had completed them and made them part of my routine.
I enjoy having goals for short term, long-term, and day to day happenings. It helps to motivate me to be a better person and to get things done. It helps me to look forward to each new day. I am a list oriented person. Even though I do have some days where I don't do much and spend more time watching TV.
That is why Mike and I decided to cancel our Hulu and Netflix so we would spend more time with one another doing other things besides watching TV and to save some money. I found while Mike was at work I would watch a lot of TV on Hulu, while Matthew was sleeping. So I am excited to see what things we will now do together as a family. It is actually nice having the quietness back in the home. What really made me want to get rid of it, was what a guy in our ward said that his son had told him now that he is older. He told his Dad thank you for not having TV in the home because it provided him with other opportunities to use his time better and to learn new things. He said because of it he was able to read a lot of books and become educated. What a great example that father was to his son. Ever since I heard that comment it has been on my mind to get rid of our Hulu and Netflix. So finally this month I did it and I can't wait to see what happens. I didn't want to have Matthew growing up watching tons of TV. There are other important and fun ways to spend time together while relaxing. I do like having TV though to watch the news so we can stay updated with what is going on in the world.
I challenge you to think about what you would like to accomplish this year and start small and keep it simple. Good Luck!
2 comments:
I agree with not having TV, we only have like one channel we can get, but I don't even use it. I don't even think about watching TV anymore! Although, the internet distracts me a lot, so I need to figure out how to do with less of that! I think goal setting is awesome and have already accomplished one goal. I need to make some more!
Good for you guys! I know we wouldn't survive without netflix after the kids go to bed. :) That's so great about the goals, too.
Post a Comment